A Few Things Before We Get Started
Some Back Story
This interview was actually done on request. One of you actually wrote to me and asked me to do a post on repatriating to Kenya. Your wish is my command. I hope its of use to you.
Late Night Stalker?!
Because of a misunderstanding, I ended up calling Linda at the wrong time and actually woke her in the middle of the night to conduct this interview: so if Linda sounds very ethereal, I can assure you it’s not because of any charisma or charm on my part
So That’s Why I Can’t Download the Audio Files!
I finally figured out what’s wrong with my podcasting system. I upgraded Wordpress too quickly and the guys who created the podcasting system are taking their time to catch up.
In the meantime, subscribe to the Displaced African podcast (watch this video where I explain how you can do it) and you will receive this as well as the Kirk Nugent and all other podcasts direct to your mp3 player in the very near future.
This interview was about Linda’s repatriating to Kenya from the USA. In spite of that, I think some of the material in the podcast applies to anyone moving back to anywhere in Africa from anywhere abroad.
NB: As is the case with any semi-informal conversation, there is occasional course language, but its so sporadic that it hardly matters.
1) How long has she been away from Africa?
2) Words of advice to anyone whose been abroad and is thinking of repatriating
3) The difference between good culture shock and bad culture shock
4) Difficulties she faced readjusting to life in Kenya (This answer will surprise you……and then remind you, lest you forgot)
5) Was it easy to readjust after so many years abroad?
6) Discussion of some of the technical aspects of repatriating to Kenya: getting an ID, NSSF number, P.O. Box etc. The connection between all this and a sense of history and legacy.
7) The sequence for getting your ID, pin and NSSF number. p.o. box etc
8 ) Give yourself time to readjust: some tips on that.
9) Does she talk to other recently repatriated Kenyans? What’s that like?
10) TIPS FOR GETTING WORK WHEN YOU REPATRIATE
11) How Linda got her job with Capital FM while still living in the States
12) The story of “the essence of man”